We all know that everything that we use in our daily lives needs maintenance and repair to last long.
After years of intensive use, even your air mattress can break or start leaking.
But the question is, how can you fix it at home and what are the necessary tools that you would need to acquire?
To begin with, learning to fix an air mattress requires a lot of practice and as you’ll get used to it, you will realize that with right kit and tools you can repair any type of air mattress with the same method.
In this guide, we’ll focus on a number of things that will help you patch an air mattress.
First of all, you must remember that there are different types of air mattresses in the market.
Including this, there are number of other factors like usage that also need to be considered when repairing an air mattress.
Here is the detailed list of things that you must take into account:
● There are number of ways that you can use an air mattress. Make sure you know the particular use of it in your household.
● Why the air mattress is losing air? It can be anything from leakage to drop in the temperature.
● What are the causes of the leakage? Can you spot them with naked eyes?
● What are the tools that you need to fix the mattress?
● How important it is to invest in a best air mattress repair kit?
If you know the answers to the given questions, you can proceed with DIY air mattress and give your mattress a new life for years to come.
Let’s see how can you fix air mattress based on different uses
Different Uses Of Air Mattress
Outdoor: When you decide to go on camping, you obviously want to sleep comfortably. And an air mattress might help you save the day. if you are someone who likes to enjoy the nature in style, this can prove to be a good investment. But, what if your air mattress starts showing leak just before you are about to use it during the camping? Do not forget to carry the market bought repair kit. Follow the instructions given on the label carefully and in no time you will be able to use it again.
Indoors: Instant bed raised air mattresses are quite in trend among households with space constraints. If you want to spend some quality time with your family in your living room or garden, simply pump up your air mattress and let everyone have a good time, jumping and playing on it. You can also spend some cozy moments with your significant other and watch your favorite movie. Make sure you have an instant fix repair kit at all times so your family time is not interrupted by any unexpected leakage.
Does Your Mattress Leak?
● Do you feel uneasiness while using the mattress?
● Does it not feel as comfortable as it used to?
● Has your mattress lost its firmness?
● Do you hear constant hissing sound?
Well, these are tell-tale signs that your mattress is losing air or there is a leakage which needs t be fixed immediately.
How To Find Puncture Or Leaking Spots?
Obviously, once you know that your mattress is deflating, you must take some measures to fix this.
If we talk about change in the temperature, the solution will be facile.
You should use tools provided with the mattress and pump some air inside it, until it is firm.
However, if you see the mattress is leaking air, then you need to repair it as the problem is much more complicated in this case.
The only way to fix it is to find the leak and patch it up. Since punctures are usually very small, finding the leaking spot can be a bit tricky.
Also, inflating your mattress without finding the leak will be of no use too.
● Take off the bedding from your mattress and move it to the large area of the house. You should be able to turn and flip it over easily.
● Pump up the mattress with as much air as you can. Stop at a point where it seems to burst.
● Use the air pump to inflate, instead of air compressor.
● Once you get it fully inflated, start listening carefully. The leaking air will make a persistent, low and hissing sound. It is impossible to see the leak with naked eyes, but you can hear and feel it if you put your concentration to it.
● You may even use the bubble method to make sure you got the right spots. Pour some soapy water on incriminated area and see if the soap starts forming the bubbles.
● If it does, you got the leak.
● Now gather the tools and items that you’ll need for a DIY kit.
Fixing a leak can be easily done at home with materials that you can find in your home.
If its a small leak, you can fix it with a scissor and a glue itself.
Some manufacturers also provide quick fix kit with the mattress, so users can fix the leaks at any time without worrying about anything.
On the other hand, you can also buy repair kits from any local store.
Tools Required To Patch Air Mattress
● Something made with thick plastic, like high quality shower curtain or a tarp.
● A pair of scissors
In order to fix the leak located on the textile part, you need to sand down the fluffy portion until it reached to the plastic under it.
The textile part cannot be fixed with scissors, plastic and glue. You will need to use sandpaper first.
The glue should be strong enough to keep two pieces of vinyl and plastic together.
Try to find a glue that is sold at convenience stores or your local supermarket.
A lot of people tend to use duct tape, which is big “no” when it comes to fixing air mattress.
So, now that you are aware of the all the right tools and procedure to find and fix the leak, you should be able to fix it yourself at home without any professional guidance.
You can even try market bought repair kits to make the repair task easy and systematic.