Wall beds, commonly referred to as Murphy beds, have been around for a very long time and they are still very sought-after today – for a very good reason, keeping in mind their space-effective design. But you need the best mattress for the wall bed to make it work.
In a nutshell, these beds are built into the wall, thus allowing you to store the bed upright when it is not in use. The Murphy Beds are undoubtedly the perfect choice for small spaces, such as studio apartments.
Cost-effective and compact, these best carry yet another notable benefit – you can use virtually any type of mattress, as long as it fits the bed frame. No matter if you want an innerspring, an air mattress or a gel and memory foam blend mattress, the possibilities are endless. The mattress does not fold, therefore you can opt for a rigid mattress.
However, it is crucial to take the precise measurements of the wall bed, just to make sure the mattress matches the frame, otherwise you may risk to damage it.
1. LinenSpa 8″ Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress
- 8 inch hybrid mattress combine hypallergenic memory foam with the traditional support of an innerspring mattress for a medium-firm feel perfect for kids rooms, guest beds, or an affordable low-profile option
- A plush layer of memory foam helps align the spine to minimize pressure points for increased comfort
- Finished with a cozy knit cover, this mattress is compressed as a bed in a box for convenient delivery and setup
The Red Nomad Luxury Memory Foam Mattress
- QUALITY COMFORT - Upgrade your king or california king size bedding with an ultra soft and smooth double brushed microfiber fabric to your pillows and comforter. With stylish and comfortable linens made from a lightweight material, you are adding premium quality to your bedroom. You are not sacrificing style or material quality for comfort, you can have both with Red Nomad duvet cover and sham set.
- GOOD AS NEW IN EVERY USE - Red Nomad matching linen set withstands many washes looking fresh and crisp in color and design, every time. No wrinkles, no creases, no fabric pilling and stain resistant. Microfiber qualities retain the original fabric shape and color for you to love your breathable soft king/california king size duvet cover and bed shams every night.
- BREATHABLE - Improve the quality of your sleep and surround yourself with bedspread reducing nightly congestion, sneezing and itching. Breathable fabric made from thin double brushed synthetic threads, wicks moisture away while simultaneously allowing your duvet and pillow shams to feel cool and and softness on your skin and gentle to touch.
If you have only purchased the bed frame of your future Murphy bed, or you simply want to replace the current mattress because it no longer rises to your expectations, then you should certainly consider investing in the Red Nomad luxury memory foam mattress. This mattress measures 10 inches in thickness and it is made with CertiPUR-US certified foam.
Moreover, the Red Nomad luxury memory foam mattress also comes with a soft and pleasant bamboo cover, it is available in a twin XL measure and it features a two-layer construction: the first layer measures three inches in thickness and it consists of 2.5 pound-dense ventilated memory foam, while the second layer measures 7 inches in thickness and it is made of polyurethane foam base exclusively.
More you need to know
The fact that the mattress content is CertiPUR-US certified proves that it offers an unmatchable performance, that it is very durable and it does not have any air polluting emissions. Moreover, the mattress is designed in collaboration with chiropractic patients, as it aims to offer them a high-quality body support along with an efficient pressure point relief.
This mattress can be efficiently used as a wall bed mattress due to its premium memory foam, which is known to have an efficient air flow and to maintain a constant temperature throughout the years. In addition to this, the mattress also comes with a zippered hypoallergenic cover that is fully washable and that is highly resistant to dust mites and other similar allergens.
2. Zinus Sleep Master Ultimate Comfort Memory Foam
- INSPIRED BY NATURE - Wholesome and natural ingredients, like green tea and moisture-absorbing charcoal work wonders in a mattress, and we’ve designed this one to control odors, maintain freshness, and envelop your shape so you awake restored and refreshed
- PRESSURE-RELIEVING FOAMS - Layers of conforming green tea memory foam, soft Z:Comfort foam and high-density Z:Base foam hug your shape to soothe you to sleep
- CERTIPUR US CERTIFIED - Highest quality foam is CertiPUR US Certified for durability, performance, and content
A more detailed reason on why this is our new second choice will be added in the coming weeks.
The Serta Pro-Comfort Callaway Plush
Available in a plush comfort level, the Serta Pro-Comfort Callaway mattress can also be used as a durable, efficient and high-quality Murphy bed mattress. Simply put, this is a non-foam encased mattress that measures 7 inches in thickness, it relies on an innerspring system and it is made of 420 posture smart coils that ensure an even body weight distribution across the surface of the mattress.
The mattress is made of comfort fibers of the highest quality that ensure a gentle yet efficient support, it comes with a firm support pad as well and it also has an outstanding pro-comfort wood foundation that helps it retain its shape and design.
3. Tuft & Needle Mattress
- Proven: Over a million people choose us every night. In fact, 95% of our customers keep and love their T&N Original Mattress, Featuring our own proprietary T&N Adaptive foam, the Original Mattress is universally comfortable for all sleeping positions
- Proprietary foam: Our T&N Adaptive foam is engineered based on customer feedback and provides pressure relief where you need it most. An open-cell structure provides a flexible sleep surface that adjusts to you as you move throughout the night
- Cool sleeping: Our foam is more advanced than outdated materials such as latex and memory foam, the T&N Adaptive foam helps pull away heat with cooling graphite and gel beads, wrapped in our breathable plush cover to help keep you cool and comfortable
The Sealy Posturetech Plus Mattress
- 13.5-INCH HYBRID MATTRESS—Get the best of both worlds with our innovative hybrid mattress, designed with the support that’s right for you.
- SPRING COILS & FOAM HYBRID—A unique combination of support from encased coils and the conforming comfort of cooling memory foam.
- SEALY POSTUREPEDIC TECHNOLOGY—Developed with the help of orthopedic specialists, our exclusive technology targets the heaviest part of the body to sustain you with extra support throughout the night for better sleep.
Last, but not least, the Sealy Posturetech Plus Mattress is yet another great choice for wall beds, as it is luxurious and pleasant enough to help you sleep and enjoy a restful night. The mattress features a patented Posture Tech innerspring system that is designed to sense your individual body weight and to react accordingly.
The Sealy PostureTech Plus mattress comes with a hassle-free no-flip construction, it features twice tempered steel coils for added comfort, durability and strength and it also comes with an advanced FlameGuard fiber protection. The mattress measures 12 inches in thickness, it comes with a three-zone pressure relief inlay and it uses a variety of different foams and cushions, for a truly unparalleled body support.
How To Choose The Best Mattress For Wall Bed Options?
Although Murphy beds are a great choice for those who are budget conscious and who are looking for a practical and rather space saving furniture, choosing a mattress that fits the bed frame, that is comfortable and supportive enough for your own individual sleeping needs can be rather challenging – especially since these beds are built directly into the walls.
1. Pay Attention To The Dimensions Of The Bed
Just like any other type of bed, the Murphy bed also comes in different shapes and sizes. You can either opt for a single bed, or a double bed – regardless of your choice, it is of utmost importance to measure not only the length and width, but also the height of the wall bed frame. One of the biggest mistakes Murphy bed owners tend to make these days is that they only measure the length and width, ignoring the height of the wall bed frame, only to realize that the mattress is simply too thick to fit in.
2. Choose The Desired Support System
Wall beds offer a plethora of options in terms of the mattress support systems, and this is usually up to the individual needs and preferences of each user. Some of them may opt for innerspring mattresses, others may choose an air mattress (a very popular choice, as it allows the user to inflate or deflate the mattress so that it fits tightly into the wall bed frame) or a combination of memory foam and gel.
3. Decide If You Need An Extra Frame
Last, but not least, it is important to consider the storage method for the mattress when it will not be in use. Different wall beds have different mechanisms of action, and while some of them store the mattress directly on a special platform, others store it on a metal frame.
It is important to see whether your newly purchased mattress will benefit from sufficient support while installed within the frame of the Murphy bed. If not, you will need to purchase an additional support, otherwise the bed may not be able to cope with its weight.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]
Resources From Around The Web
- Wikipedia – Information and history of Murphy Beds
- TheSpruce – DIY Murphy Bed Projects
- ApartmentTherapy – The low down on Wall Beds from people who use them
Last update on 2021-08-04 at 00:28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API